Yikes! The rumored Nikon D800.

Started Oct 5, 2011 | Discussions thread
rhlpetrus Forum Pro • Posts: 24,840
Re: On common sense.

Great Bustard wrote:

...common sense is not a good guide in digital is it?

Actually, it depends on who the "sense" is "common" to!

A prime example is Equivalence. One of the principles of Equivalence, that it is the total amount of light that falls on the sensor (photons) rather than the density of the light that falls on the sensor (exposure -- photons / mm²) that is the primary measure, makes complete sense to me, and it is surprising how many do not understand such a simple principle.

I have recognized that for some time now, regarding overall IQ parameters.

Likewise, it makes perfect sense to me that more pixels covering the same portion of a photo than fewer pixels would collect the same amount of light, but simply sample the scene with a finer level of detail, resulting in a photo with greater IQ. Furthermore, I don't see why so many think smaller pixels would be less efficient than larger pixels -- would four one quart containers hold less water than a single gallon container?

Agree, no reason at all for that (except for the isue of separating walls, but I understand microlenses take care of that, even though one could think of border contamination of info due to microlenses not well desinged).

But re CA it's interesting that it could be less when you refine the sensel pattern.

On another front, how about AA system. There's this talk that there could be a AA-less version. What do you think?
--
Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/

Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MM1
MM1
MM1
MM1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow