No in-body stabilization in Nex. Stupid!(?)

Started Oct 10, 2011 | Discussions thread
SQLGuy
SQLGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 10,118
Re: No in-body stabilization in Nex. Stupid!(?)

I will quote myself as saying so. I had a lot of night shots ruined by leaving IS enabled on my Canon G9 when on a tripod. The IS seems to freak out on longer exposures and the result looks not much different from a long exposure hand-held shot. If the only point of turning it off on a tripod was that it was not needed anyhow, then it wouldn't cause problems (except maybe overheating or shortening battery life) to leave it on.

In a less objective vein, I think it's likely there's a good reason why Zeiss doesn't want IS in the lenses that have their name on them.

I think you'll find that there is still, at the least, a sharpness penalty being paid for allowing things in the light path to move easily rather than being solidly fixed in place.

aman74 wrote:

Bebrox wrote:

I think some users are starting to wake up to the fact that IBIS/OIS can cause issues with the output in many circumstances.

Like what???

The only thing I know of is when you're on a tripod and at that point it's not needed anyhow. Please site sources when making such claims that go against the grain of what's largely accepted as a very effective system.

-- hide signature --

Nex-5 with kit lenses, Contax G 35, and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +24 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow