Yikes! The rumored Nikon D800.

Started Oct 5, 2011 | Discussions thread
Dylthedog Contributing Member • Posts: 753
Re: Doesn't that out-resolve many lenses?

Peter 13 wrote:

Dylthedog wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

More pixels will always resolve more detail, but the Law of Diminsihing returns will affect different lenses differently.

More pixels will never resolve more than the lens can: if you think otherwise I'd love to be educated as to how.

Make that more pixels will always resolve more than the lens can , and it will be correct.

LOL - you got me!

Of course a sensor can out-resolve a lens, what I meant was that an image thrown by a given lens has a cut-off point where more pixels will not produce more perceived definition. I should have been clearer.

I agree that the closer the MP gets to the ultimate resolving power of the lens you do get diminishing returns, but that's the same for everything.

Resolution of a lens is not measured in pixels. The notion of a "sensor outresolving a lens" is nonsense.

I disagree - analogue vs. digital produces representations that can be observed if not measured with the same units. Subjective, of course. As I said above, there comes a point where pixel density adds nothing to the analogue image being thrown on it.

Besides, above you said that a more pixels can out-resolve a lens. Make your mind up!

Dylthedog's gear list:Dylthedog's gear list
Sony RX1R II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus OM-D E-M10 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MM1
MM1
MM1
MM1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow