Yikes! The rumored Nikon D800.

Started Oct 5, 2011 | Discussions thread
orpheo Forum Member • Posts: 81
Re: Yikes! The rumored Nikon D800.

Hm, interesting.

Now I wonder:

• Why would Nikon not put more of these more efficient pixels on the D3s' sensor two years ago - or lately the D7000's sensor - if pixel size doesn't matter, resolution is so utterly important and/or sells so well?

• And only two years after the D3s it's supposedly possible to triple the pixel-count without losses?

I know, you didn't actually say that, but the way you argue, that seems to be the conclusion to me.

Propably you do have access to more information and/or know better how to interpret it, but all I can see so far is, that comparing raw-files of roughly the same generation of equally sized sensors, better low-light performance always goes along with bigger pixels.

Based on that, my conclusion is, a 36MP-FF-Sensor the likes of the one used in the D7000 wouldn't even come close to the low-light-performance of a D3s. So how much progress is possible in one year with basicly the same sensor type? My optimistic guess would be: 24MP max to keep the level of the D700.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MM1
MM1
MM1
MM1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow