Yikes! The rumored Nikon D800.

Started Oct 5, 2011 | Discussions thread
bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 57,707
Re: Yikes! The rumored Nikon D800.

sparkling elk wrote:

the AA filter and reduced shadow noise @ higher resolution i can buy. but does it mean that 3x mp on FF will become a necessary standard?

i have seen the images from my (sold) 21mp-5D2 and from my brother's 12mp-D3s. shadow noise of the nikon is better. shadow noise on my 1D4 files is also better.

simply the fact that the pixel pitch of the D3s is much bigger than on the D3x sensor makes the 12mp D3s a much better low light camera. thats what i want...

It is not ' the fact that the pixel pitch of the D3s is much bigger than on the D3x sensor' that 'makes the 12mp D3s a much better low light camera'. It is the fact that the D3s has a much higher quantum efficiency.

thank you for your comment. it makes me understand that there is more than just pixel size. lets see if there will be futur cameras with a special spec for low light and how much resolution they will have.

the D3s already has such a spec.
who would like such a thing from canon (lets say with 16 or 20mp) ?

If this D800 sensor has D7000 pixels it will be very nearly as good as the D3s in low light, with 36MP. I expect the D4 to have D3s levels of low light performance or better and 24MP. With the pixel they have designed for the J1 and V1 Nikon could make a camera with D3s levels of low light performance and 72MP.

Canon have to up their game to match even the D7000 pixel, let alone the D3s and J1 pixels.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MM1
MM1
MM1
MM1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow