Yikes! The rumored Nikon D800.

Started Oct 5, 2011 | Discussions thread
Skip M Veteran Member • Posts: 7,174
Re: Careful, Part II

pekelnik wrote:

Skip M wrote:

The EOS3 of film days was an abberation, and I don't think that Canon is keen to repeat it. A camera with a higher frame rate, the same AF, eye controlled focus (which the 1v didn't have) in a body sealed to the levels of the 1v's predecessor, the 1n must surely have cut into the 1v sales in a major way. Why buy a 1v? For the downloadable file info? A few more custom functions? The EOS3 was far closer in spec to the 1 series of the day than any of its progenitors, like the A2/E/EOS5 or EOS10s were to the 1n and 1, respectively. On the other hand, the EOS5/A2/E and the 3 debuted the AF of the succeeding 1 series. So, who really knows.

1v actually has higher framerate than 3, 7 vs 10 fps (both with booster).

IIRC, the base camera, w/o boost, the 3 was 5fps, the 1v was 4, but i could have been mis-remembering. I remember the 1v boosted to 10, though and the 3 to 8.

It is also better weather sealed (better than the 5dm2). I believe the principal reason for the EOS 3 was to test the new technology. Eye-control focus was obviously a no-go. And I think 1v was definitely geared towards the sports shooter. I actually have one and it is a very nice camera.

Canon at the time said the 3 had the same sealing as the 1n, and also, later, said the 5D mkII was sealed to the same level. ECF was introduced in the EOS5/A2E, but only on the horizontal. For some reason, Canon decided to put a little ball bearing in there to disable ECF when you turned the camera to vertical. It could be easily removed, but it was odd.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MM1
MM1
MM1
MM1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow