Yikes! The rumored Nikon D800.

Started Oct 5, 2011 | Discussions thread
bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 53,205
Re: Yikes! The rumored Nikon D800.

sparkling elk wrote:

tests between D3s and D3x show a better lowlight performance. means: better high iso IQ. i suspected that the pixel size is playing a major role, but with your remark about i am not sure that this is all. will check that.

Unless Nikon and Sony give you access to their design information for the two sensors, or you spend a few thousand dollars on the chipworks reports, you're not going to find out for certain one way or the other. All you can do is look at the theory and the trends. Neither shows a reduction in low light performance as you go to smaller pixels.

i agree, 16mp is just a number and more resolution generally is better, but:

i dont need 3x mp at all and i cannot believe that you'll see better IQ on a 30mp sensor than on a 20mp sensor (technically same generation).

Well you will, in particular more detail, due mainly to the higher cut AA filter and also less shadow noise, due to the tendency of smaller pixels to have lower read noise.

lets not forget the fact that the smaller the pixels, the more shake is amplified. true?

Not true, amplification of shake depends on the magnification that you use to view the image, not the number or size of pixels.

my 16mp vote was stupid. but i'd prefer a 20-24mp FF sensor with 2 crop modes (1.2 and 1.6).

Crop modes are of limited worth also - if you have a good TC it's almost always a better bet than using a crop mode - the resolution enhancement from the extra pixels is generally more than any loss due to the TC.
--
Bob

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MM1
MM1
MM1
MM1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow