D3s + 70-200VRII killed in rain

Started Oct 3, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AlexMegremis Regular Member • Posts: 213
D3s + 70-200VRII killed in rain

I live in Melbourne, Australia.

The weather here is psychotic - textbook bipolar disorder.

Last Wednesday I got caught out in a spring storm that was "the worst in 50 years". I had a D3s with a 70-200VR2 hanging off an R-strap, an umbrella that had been wrecked and useless, and a laptop in a messenger bag.

I was in the rain for a total of... 5min?

I tried to protect the laptop bag with my body, thinking the camera could handle the rainfall. After all, it had survived worse in Vietnam last year.

As soon as I got out of the rain, ie back to the office, I frantically wiped the camera & lens dry. I then noticed that there were all sorts of problems. The viewfinder LEDs were displaying nonsense, the AF wouldn't work, the main rear display wouldn't come on, etc.

I took the battery out, and I left all the damaged gear overnight in a sealed bag with moisture absorbent pebbles and rice. Next day it was a bit better, but still mostly wrecked, and with visible moisture behind the rear bottom LCD. It could still take photos. I took it in for repairs.

Today I heard that both camera and lens are being written off ("uneconomical to repair"). The only comment I got from them regarding the degree of damage was when I first took it in, and it was that the CF compartment, needing to be accessible, is more weakly sealed, and the orientation of the camera (upside down from the R-strap) made that area subject to more rainfall, and the likelier point of entry of water.

Thankfully it's all insured, I'm now in the process of submitting an insurance claim, and tomorrow I'm going after quotes for new purchases for the insurance firm. I made some calls today, and the D3s seems a bit hard to get.

Here's to hoping there are no issues with the process.

And word to the wise - even the best gear is very fragile, given the right circumstances.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
fad
fad
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow