The official RAW Converter *Shootout* thread

Started Sep 21, 2011 | Discussions thread
harry cannoli
OP harry cannoli Veteran Member • Posts: 5,606
Hi Peter..

Because I shoot birds and wildlife, extraction of detail is very important to me. I also want nice tonality and a good look. I absolutely love the "Foveon" look, RT gets me closest to that look. (Maybe I should hav put on my flame proof suit before I said that )

That photo of my buddy was just a good photo. I shot it the moment the sun went down, the light was perfect. So yes, It would have been a good image to play with. I appreciate your understanding of my reluctance to share that photo. Thanks.

I have heard good things about DXO, would love to see what it can really do. Those guys certainly understand optics.

Peter 13 wrote:

For most of my photos, I find the best converter to be the one which renders the best colors and tonality, not the one with the best detail. In the 15-18-24 mp era, getting the most detail during RAW conversion seems not so important anymore. Your friend's photo in the other thread looked really good and would be a good sample image but I understand your reservations about making the RAW file public.

I wanted to post a DXO Optics Pro conversion but this body/lens is not supported by them. DXO can still convert it but it is best with supported combos.

Regards
Rich

-- hide signature --

harry cannoli's gear list:harry cannoli's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow