Tokyo & Hong Kong...what to bring?

Started Sep 16, 2011 | Discussions thread
Guidenet
Guidenet Forum Pro • Posts: 15,748
Nice choices

marco1974 wrote:

JCLittle wrote:

[...] but now thinking about cutting back to just 2 or 3 lenses.

That's precisely what I do myself most of the times: intentionally limit myself to bringing along only two lenses.

Given your kit, this time around I'd bring the AF-S 35/1.4G and AF 85/1.4D.

Marco.

Wow, I didn't even need to toss in my 2 cents because Marco picked exactly what I'd pick from those choices. If I had the 24 f/1.4 I might go that instead, but the 35 is great.

I can't tell you how often I set out for a walk while traveling with the 85 f/1.4 on the camera and a little 35 f/2 in my pocket, hood attached. That is a fantastic combo in my opinion though I do tend to bring a large kit. I find that when traveling i don't go much above 85mm very often. In most cases, I can walk closer or crop later.

As a birding and wildlife photographer, those longer lenses are quite important most of the time, but not when traveling, especially on business. If I were going to Hong Kong and Tokyo for pleasure and had plenty of time, I might bring a 70-300 VR to attempt some local birding or maybe a 300 f/4 with cnverters.
--
Cheers, Craig

Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile via Plan

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 +31 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow