The Emperor's New Clothes aka the E Mount Zeiss 24mm

Started Sep 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,147
Re: The Emperor's New Clothes aka the E Mount Zeiss 24mm

mynakedsoda wrote:

It seems the more a lens costs the more people will mindlessly defend any possible flaw it might have. It amazes me even after seeing it in the past with the obvious flaws of the Nikon D70 and D200 bodies. Keep in mind I still use a D200 and love it but the flaws of it are quite obvious even without the in your face bad bokeh samples I keep seeing from the new E mount Zeiss.

One thing you didn't mention, what do you feel are the flaws with the Zeiss 24mm for the price?

I for one think it is too early to tell, basing opinion on the lens from under-sharpened JPEG images with fairly high noise reduction.

Looking at some other lenses:

Nikon 24mm f/1.4, 135 format, $2200 US. Nikkor 24 f/2.8, $400. Does an f/1.8 sound reasonable in between the two (closer to the 2.8) in price? Not a fair comparison due to the sensor size difference.

There are no other APS-C 24mm sub f/2 lenses. How about Pentax 31mm f/1.8? $1300. It is for 135 format as well. How about the Pentax 21mm f/3.2? It is 1 and 2/3 stops smaller aperture and is $565. Usually doubling the aperture at least doubles the price.

There is a Sigma 24mm f/1.8 lens. It is 135 format and runs $580. But it is a Sigma and cheaper.

There is an olympus 17mm f/2.8 which is the same field of view. It is $300, but 1 and 1/3 stop smaller aperture and not made to the same level.

Honestly, given the above, I think the Zeiss is right in line for a premium small 24mm f/1.8 lens for APS-C. Sure, I would like to see a 24/2.8 for maybe $300, but it won't be as nicely made. Is it over priced? Only if people don't buy it.

I will get one when it comes out and run it on the charts. I am curious how it does.

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow