Why do the so called purist photographers hate video

Started Sep 8, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Daniel Villiers Regular Member • Posts: 169
Why do the so called purist photographers hate video

Why do people always say stupid things as if the video side is for the people that are not serious in photography. I just saw a comment like these on an NR thread about Nikon and Canon losing market share in Japan. The person was implying in his post that Nikon was devoting resources (not going to its DSLR), for it mirror less camera for example and on the way cited video. Implying that it was use only by some poor photographers. I have heard that argument so many times that it has become infuriating. What those guys don't understand is that the future of Nikon relies a big part in video and not for the Sunday family photos but for the pros.

I do commercial, fashio and wedding photography. Lets take one example. The other day I was talking to the video guys who does most of the filming with me. He wanted to know more about the HDslr since more and more of his peers/competitors were using at least on hdslr. The consensus was simple the future of wedding photography and video will be two people with hdslr and perhaps a traditional camera on tripod. Imaging a world that you are filming continuosly and taking shots as the same time. Two people would replace at least 3 to 4 because you would have so many point of view. One would concentrate more on the photo and the other on the video, but in the end the sum of the two would ad up to be much more than the two separately.

This is one sector, the news sport etc photographers will be asked to bring some video with their photos of events. On the commercial people are asking more and more some video with their product shots etc. Why because the other guy competitor is going to do so. This is the reality of the market now and will prevailing in the near future.

On the side of the spectrum, I think that photographers are in general better image maker than the general cameraman because we have been use to use much more powerful tools. Where we have been use to larger chip (dof control), resolution, dynamic range, low light quality, lighting etc. They have been using far lower tool. The average 1/3 to 2/3 video camera even the broadcast ones costing more than $ 10000, give the look of point and shoot photo camera.

-- hide signature --

Alalalala when are they going to see the light.

http://mauritius-wedding-photographer.voyaz.com

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow