24MP Nikon DX : D7001

Started Aug 24, 2011 | Discussions thread
TrojMacReady
TrojMacReady Veteran Member • Posts: 8,729
Re: EVF vs Optical

jonikon wrote:

and there should be less vibration and quieter operation.

The Nikon D7000 is much quieter with less vibration than the Sony SLTs wiith an EVF, so the mirror noise must be much less than the shutter noise.

Different class shutters, looking at the A33/A35/A55 vs D7000.

An EVF is bright in low light.

Brighter, but not clearer in low light. It is like putting your eye to a light bulb!

Much clearer when switching between bright and dark lighting conditions. Your eyes (and brains) will take up to 20-30 minutes to fully adapt. EVF adapts instantly and can be manually adjusted (both display and scene brightness).

And try taking your eye away from that lighted EVF in a dim room and see how long your eye needs to adjust to the low ambient light!

See above. It takes quite a while for my eyes to be able to discern in a very dark room, what I can see during LV on my camera with a fast lens.

However, the finder quality gets really poor when the light gets low.

No kidding! It is like watching an old TV without an antenna! The pupil of my eye can adjust to much lower light levels and without the "pumping" of the current EVFs.

The adjustment of your eyes and brains takes a long time. One street lamp can do more "damage" in that regard than a dimmed EVF. For night shots, refresh rate is much less important and can be sacrificed for a cleaner gain in brightness. Which is what happens in many Sony LV cameras.

Also, the refresh rate slows down so following subjects becomes difficult. I have a couple of Panasonic G cameras.

Yes this has been a real deal breaker for many, but perhaps Sony may have fixed this with the a77. We shall see.

The EVF is good enough except in low light.

Good enough is a broad statement. For framing maybe, but not for composition in my book. Try shooting as sunset with an EVF and you will see what I mean. The trouble is that an EVF only shows a highly processed electronic image of the actual lighting conditions in the scene, which is usually OK for simple snapshots, but not acceptable for more artistic use of lighting.

A good EVF, especially an OLED one which should offer a large DR thanks to the lack of an overall backlight, should handle that fine. Offer you a larger view on a crop camera, 100% framing accuracy, a more static DR closer to the end result than our constantly adjusting eyes+ brains show through an OVF, a histogram for extra exposure information, if needed with distortion corrections applied and in the specific example of sunsets, prevents your retina from getting damaged (goes for every strong backlit scene that includes direct sunlight). That last point alone makes framing sunsets much easier from my experience with both.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hea
BJN
BJN
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow