I handled the Q today...

Started Aug 20, 2011 | Discussions thread
zxaar Veteran Member • Posts: 4,061
I also handled

Q, working model with normal attached to it.

Richard Murdey wrote:

There were some non-functioning demos at Bic Camera. While I'd seen the pictures before I had not had one in my hands before.

Ok guys, you need to know one thing:

It's small.

Really small...

Tiny. Minute. Minuscule.

I can't think of a camera on the market today that comes close. The closest camera that comes to mind is the Rollei 35, but that comparison won't help most of you I guess.

The LX-5 looks like a giant next to it. Even the S95 is considerably bigger (though the Q is thicker) GF3? G12? Both huge in comparison.

So far agree completely.

While Pentax clearly aimed to stake out uncharted territory for itself with this camera, handling it convinced me once and for all that the Q is destined to be a failure. One of the ideas that might have seemed cool when it was pitched, but ends up as a historical curiosity that never caught on.

It's too small. The buttons and arrow pad are smaller than any camera I have yet laid eyes on. The body is proportioned like some sort of spy camera: You have to grip it like you would a toy, with the fingertips.

half agree and half disagree. For me it was not that uncomfortable to use it. I tried it almost 10 minutes of more and took lots of photos. Buttons are small but not that one can not use it. Once you are habitual of it, i doubt you would even notice the problem.

Yet, since the lenses all protrude from the body, and the body is anyway as chubby as it is tiny, it is not a pocketable camera.

with normal lens it is no problem, and the zoom is slightly thicker than a typical lipstick. With that in mind you can carry both in your pocket if you want. With zoom attached to camera , it not pocketable easily (still i think can come in pocket of jacket).

As cameras get smaller, the convenience at first increases, as the camera becomes lighter and easier to handle, then it starts to decrease, as it starts to get too small to comfortably use.

In my opinion the Pentax Q has pushed the smallness factor in order to stand out, its so small that the camera is less easy to use than m43 alternatives, with no meaningful benefit in return.

-- hide signature --

::> I make spelling mistakes. May Dog forgive me for this.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow