A77 vs A35 RAW comparison

Started Aug 25, 2011 | Discussions thread
rhlpetrus Forum Pro • Posts: 25,162
Re: Still unadressed... Dynamic Range?

steelski wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

Not directly related as some may think, depends on how gain for high ISO is done.

I expect DR at base ISO as good as present 16 MP sensor's, close to 14EV, why would it be different?

Because its a new sensor, with much higher output, (24MP at 12FPS vs 16MP at 10fps).

That's not such a big difference. 10 to 12 fps? 16MP to 24 MP. Think of 6MP to 16MP. 24MP is well below a density that would cause problems. The read noise in some compact cameras is at same level as dlsr or better. Only problem is that to produce a print of same sizes you need a lot of enlargemet from those tiny sensors.

You mention D3x x D3 in another post. Different technologies, one a Nikon design optimized for high ISO, the other a Sony design optimized for low ISO. DR is much better on the D3x.

The 16MP sensor is the most flexible sensor released by any manufacturer to date. The Pentax K-5 has a few examples of underexposing the 8 stops, and then being able to recover that detail..... which no other consumer sensor has been able to do to date, (with no banding or color issues). simply by saying "why would it be different" you are ignoring the fact that the previous generation sensors were a HUGE extremely impressive!!!!!

D7k and D5100 show same performance. My bet is we will see similar performance from this sensor if 14bit ADC is added. That's one point I don't get. Why hasn't Sony added that option, with reduced fps rate, just like when D300 got 14bit ADC.
--
Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/

Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow