Archive to DVD still smart?

Started Jul 28, 2011 | Discussions thread
DonA2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,014
Re: DVDs are not an archival medium

Sean Nelson wrote:

Ho72 wrote:

I'ts a little disturbing to think that tin types from the civil war will outlast some of our digital images.

The interesting thing about civil war photos is that most of them are significant. When photography is expensive and difficult to do, you only take photos of important objects or events.

On the other hand 99.99% of modern digital photos are either uninteresting or personal, and are probably of little interest to future generations. Those that are noteworthy enough to gain widespread recognition will probably be preserved through dissemination, stored on countless computers all over the globe.

-- hide signature --

Sean, you got this about spot on. The 99.99% might be somewhat overgenerous. With the billions of digital photos on millions of hard drives (and in the cloud) the only intrinsic value is to the photog. My thousands of pics will die with me along with my hard drive. Life is cruel but just.
Don V. Armitage

DonA2's gear list:DonA2's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow