Using the 7D tethered to an Android tablet.

Started Aug 16, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jeff Peterman
MOD Jeff Peterman Forum Pro • Posts: 13,557
Using the 7D tethered to an Android tablet.

I've been experimenting with my new Acer Iconia A500 tablet as a photography tool. On my recent trip to London, it worked well as a photo viewer (extracting embedded JPGs from Canon 7D RAW files with a $4 App), and for backing up shots to a micro SD card. DPREVIEW reported on a new App (DSLR Controller), still in beta, that allows direct, tethered control of many Canon DSLRs with some Android devices such as my tablet. I paid the $8 for the App and gave it a try today. I'm impressed. I simply put the camera on a kitchen table, connected it to the tablet with a USB cable, and started the App on the tablet. The App detected the camera and took control, switching it to Live View mode. I could then see the image on the tablet and use the tablet to change exposure, ISO, etc., as desired, then touch the tablet screen to select my focus point and send the focus command to the camera - the tablet allowed zooming in on the image to check critical focus and manual fine tuning of the focus. When ready, I could trigger the shutter on the camera from the tablet. I've attached three resulting shots (of a fairly boring scene), where I shifted the focus point and manually set the exposure, for each of the shots, without touching the camera. I could have done this with a laptop or desktop PC and the Canon application, but it was very convenient to hold the tablet in my left hand and adjust the controls with my right by touching the screen - with a laptop/desktop, I'd have had to find somewhere to place the PC and then used the more cumbersome mouse or mouse pad to operate the controls.

While I don't see myself doing tethered shooting often, the tablet will make it easy when I do.

(Target have the 16 GB version of the tablet on sale this week - $400 and they give you a $100 gift card for future purposes, making the effective price just $300.)

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman

Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
http://www.pbase.com/jeffp25
http://www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +19 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow