Why Are Larger Pixels on Camera Sensors Better?

Started Aug 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
Chris59 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,436
Re: Why Are Larger Pixels on Camera Sensors Better?

peter ellner wrote:

I understand that larger photosites on a digital camera sensor have benefits such as improved dynamic range and lower noise due to improved light collection...but I can't help but think that maybe having larger photosites isn't better.

I can't help but agree with you.

Think of it this way, a larger photosite captures more light, yes, but it also captures light from more angles, thus an individual photosite on a large photosite camera sensor will be receiving the light from more places in the scene being photographed than a smaller photosite. Wouldn't having bigger photosites actually lower the resolving power of the sensor then? Do you understand what I'm getting at?

I would think that having very small photosites would be better, as long as they can be efficient, because each photosite will then be more accurate because it will correspond to a more precise part of the scene being photographed. So why are larger photosites better?

They're not. The smaller the photosite (or pixel if you prefer) the more you can fit on a given size sensor, and the more photosites, the better the resolution.

Also, the smaller the photosite the fewer the digital artifacts such as "jaggies" and de-Bayer-ing artifacts, and the weaker the resolution robbing AA filter needs to be.

Thank you!

Chris59's gear list:Chris59's gear list
Samsung NX1 Samsung 16-50mm F2.0-2.8
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow