Shooting wedding with primes only

Started Aug 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
AlecThigpen Regular Member • Posts: 257
Re: Thanks for the replies

Amused is good. We have 4x5 sheet film cameras in our history as wedding, portrait, and aerial tools, as well as 5x7 and 8x10 cameras as portrait cameras. We still have the Sinar system that is still the gold standard as far as I am concerned. The quality of the products still holds up today. My point is that many of todays young professionals couldn't get through an assignment using those tools because of the need to understand the math, science, chemistry, physics and mechanics of the past eras. It doesn't mean they are not capable with todays tools, but many don't appreciate what went into producing a great photo using basic equipment.

There were plenty of multi-image shots, and other special effects, masking techniques, all done in the camera, no photoshop fixes, so it had to be right. Special effects were done mostly at the time of the image capture rather than with electonic effects on computer, and many were spectacular.

Certainly I use the latest digital equipment offered today, and have for at least the past 10 years, and I have a chemistry free "lab", if you can call it that, consisting of computers, broadband, and digital printers. It is a requirement of the "I must have it today in Australia" clients. But don't discount the creative masterful work, discipline, and technical knowledge employed by those using cameras of the last century, prime lenses, and such. It would be a disservice to those that eventually provided the input that helped make todays equipment what it is - the wonderful tool for todays photographer.

AlecThigpen's gear list:AlecThigpen's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
SBS
SBS
BAK
SBS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow