Polarizing Filters...

Started Aug 5, 2011 | Discussions thread
Mark_McD Senior Member • Posts: 1,759
Re: Polarizing Filters...

franzel wrote:

Mark_McD wrote:

A linear polarizer is generally cheaper, faster (less light lost) and is "fixed" (non-adjustable) while CPL's can be a bit more expensive and most will lose around 3 stops of light.

-- hide signature --

>

If comparing maximum polarization vs maximum polarization it will be about the same. For the linear polarizer- you won't be able to adjust it to allow for some reflections, though you can adjust a CPL to your liking (a nice subtle advantage).

Call me a traditionalist, but I personally prefer to stick with CPL's.

Within a few hours, you went from utterly ignorant to expert ?
Gotta love Google .

Correct me for where I stated I was an expert or where I did worse than misinterpret the usability of a linear polarizer?

The OP made a thread about a week ago on the same subject (currently on page 2) without a reply.

KM already replied to the second portion, so I won't bother. FWIW, the Hoya "HRT" and "HD" CPL's both only cut 1.3 stops of light and are as fast as linear polarizers. Cost-wise the HD is significantly more than a linear polarizer (and was not advised for that reason), however the HRT can be had pretty reasonably (as the OP found).

-- hide signature --
 Mark_McD's gear list:Mark_McD's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha a7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow