HDR? NEX 5 does HDR? Really?

Started Jul 24, 2011 | Discussions thread
lehill
lehill Veteran Member • Posts: 4,327
Re: HDR? NEX 5 does HDR? Really?

mynetdude wrote:

I've been toying with my camera to see how it does HDR and all I can see that it does is make one picture brighter or darker than the other by a very small step as that is; I am not convinced it can do HDR although I have looked at some HDR photos and my camera is not producing what an HDR should look like or am I doing something wrong? Or do I still have to put it together?

IIRC an HDR is two images overlayed one image is a bit over exposed the other is under exposed marrying the two you get an HDR?

I have an A550 that has Auto-HDR, perhaps the NEX-5 function is very similar. Sony's Auto-HDR is pretty mild and doesn't have that cartoony look. If you want to go that far then you'll have to take the shots and blend them manually.

Are you confusing Auto-HDR with the bracketing function? Exposure bracketing records 3 separate photos (under-, normal, and over-exposed). What you do with them is up to you.

Auto-HDR does the exposure bracketing and blending automatically and produces only one JPG image. You shouldn't be able to "...see that it does is make one picture brighter or darker than the other by a very small step..." as you say above.
--
Lance
"STILL working on composition"

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony a7 II +30 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow