Anyone shoot raw with the M.Zuiko 9-18mm?

Started Jul 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
OP dotborg Veteran Member • Posts: 8,251
Re: Anyone shoot raw with the M.Zuiko 9-18mm?

Andy Westlake wrote:

dotborg wrote:

BTW. Did you check dpreview test of this little one?
http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/olympus_m_9-18_4-5p6_o20/

Yes, I looked there. I also looked at the 14-150 review and they mention nothing, which means they're not actually testing just the lens but testing the lens with software correction.

I always find this argument slightly bizarre. If you don't test the lens with software correction, then you're not testing it how its designed to be used, and how the vast majority of users will experience it. Indeed, because the correction parameters are encoded in the lens's ROM, if you don't make use of them then you're not actually testing 'just the lens' - you're testing just the optics, which is subtly different. It would be like taking the lens off the camera and then complaining the focusing and aperture don't work.

I don't consider black corners an acceptable defect with or without software correction. After all, those black corners are perfectly visible in the raw file. If you don't report defects like this in your tests then how can people make fully informed purchase decisions?

Anyway, I didn't start this thread to complain about (or even to discuss) the 14-150. I'm over that purchase. I only want to know if the 9-18 has a similar defect.

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
aiz
aiz
aiz
aiz
MNE
MNE
MNE
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow