Anyone shoot raw with the M.Zuiko 9-18mm?

Started Jul 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
LiquidSilver Forum Member • Posts: 82
Re: not again...

dotborg wrote:

I fully understand correcting "traditional" lens limitations like distortion and chromatic aberration; and for the record, raw converter "compatibility" is not the issue here. I'm perfectly capable of correcting barrel distortion. Clicking a button in the software is not rocket science.

I meant that, by taking into account digital correction, lens designers can optimize the design prioritizing uncorrectable parameters over correctable ones. Sure, one of them is the cost. (and they are not so kindly to pass their saving to us).

I love my 20mm f1.7, and I wonder how much more glass should have been needed to optically correct its distortions, and how much less performance it could have with that glass, at the same dimension and price point.

Corner occlusion is not a "traditional" lens limitation; it's a severe defect. I don't shop for lenses with black corners and I don't like having it covered up through software. To me, that's the same as lying about the product.

I don't have that lens, but I suppose you are seeing a more than nominal FOV in the corners that its supposed to be "cutted away" by the correction.

All parameters of m4/3 lenses are specified after correction.

I'm posting about that because I fear that the attitude of users like you, can slow down Panasonic and Olympus to explore the extreme of the design they can reachvusing digital correction. Since I think this is the future, I don't want to buy the lenses two time - the "half digital" now, and the "full digital" tomorrow.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
aiz
aiz
aiz
aiz
MNE
MNE
MNE
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow