Ricoh(Pentax) FF - issues and strategical opportunities

Started Jul 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
Alex Sarbu Veteran Member • Posts: 7,594
Re: Well-written Yanko, but I don't agree ;) (PK-EOS adapter...)

Yamin Tedja wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Yamin Tedja wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Yamin Tedja wrote:

Yes a full featured FF dslr should priced around $1500-$1800 but if pentax can make something like Leica m9 which doesn't have autofocus system thus lowering the cost of production, $1000 is pretty much possible, depending on how much the sensor will cost.

Wait a minute... something like Leica M9? Leica M9 cost about $7000!

Yes Leica M9 cost $7000, if pentax can make something like that but around $1000 it will be awesome.

Not for Pentax, they would lose money on it big time.

How they will lose money if they sell the camera more than what it cost? And I mean total cost, including R&D, material, production, marketing and etc.

How do you know the total cost is lower? You've made no calculation whatsoever, you're just throwing numbers out of the blue!

But we know Pentax doesn't have huge profit margins as you're implying. Sorry, that means no "$7000 camera for $1000" for you.

Getting rid of the AF will actually increase the cost, as they would sell very few such cameras. It's a recipe for disaster, IMO.

How is that getting rid of AF will actually increase the cost? I don't understand how is that possible. You mean lower the revenue? because it will sell very few?

I mean higher costs and I already said it would be because of the low sale numbers. Higher fixed costs, pricier components (because they would order only few), more expensive per unit to distribute&sell... everything adds up, and the result doesn't look good.

Low sale number? why is that? I think pentax can sell 5000 units of the FF camera, it is not a really big number but not low either. Again, if pentax sell the camera more than what it cost, how come it will lose money?

Because people want AF.

Again, you made up some numbers... I could agree if it was a fully-featured (AF included) FF DSLR; but a crippled one?

Some photographer actually don't really need AF especially if what they are shooting are mostly static object and split screen focusing viewfinder is good enough. And pentax can make one AF model and one MF model. And also, pentax can make the Manual focus FF slr without lcd as "student vesion" camera to be used for photography school, that way the student can't cheat by looking at the result right away, they have to rely on old style metering system like what they use K1000 back in the old film photography day. Maybe pentax can make money that way.

No one would chose the MF model. And selling expensive cameras to poor students is not a good business model

Yeah student are poor but the bank keep lending them money and the camera can be included with the tuiton for the student of the photography school, in other word, they are forced to buy it, some business school already did that, they included the laptop with the tuition, so not with the camera

A lot of conditions, to make it work (barely).

Alex S.

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow