Ricoh(Pentax) FF - issues and strategical opportunities

Started Jul 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
awaldram
awaldram Forum Pro • Posts: 12,941
Re: 'Risk' may be a four-letter word at Pentax

moving_comfort wrote:

zxaar wrote:

In the end, i really think it is upto the will of camera maker than their resources to provide FF camera. If pentax top management wanted to offer FF, they could have done it. It is plain and simple. Someone at their top is not wise enough to take decisions at proper time.

We don't like to think in terms like this, but what's happened to the relative market share of Nikon, Canon and Pentax since the 70's supports that conclusion.

Have to agree with the conclusion but don't see how its applicable to the FF conundrum.

Were Nikon whithering on the vine before they recently introduce their first FF camera.

I think we (in this forum) are looking at the lesson of history and ignoring them totally to promote ideas that have proved to fail in the past.

Take the 'cheap MF FF camera' idea , How did the mz-m work out for pentax Vs the more expensive Mz-50 ??

I don't know if a 'lack of wisdom', describes it perfectly, though. I think it may be an institutionalized corporate culture that is more risk averse than the other two.

Agree

Corporate culture is a real thing, and it's odd to witness at times. It can last for several generations of management, because managers tend to hire and promote younger versions of themselves.

More agreeing

You could make the case that something in Pentax's culture stifled it's growth, left it slow-footed... Usually that's a symptom of a culture that stresses stay alive at the expense of win .

An inability to follow market trends a belief Digital was a FAD and they just need to ride the storm.

Probably a direct result of being a 'family' firm who's helmsman was blind to the markets.

Which is one of the reasons I applaud their new devil may care products, Rainbow camera , Interchangeable Lens Compact.

They may not be wining products in themselves but they show a shift from that conservative tread where others have gone before attitude.

Which I think also sums up my FF stance in that producing a me to FF camera make little sense at the moment for the following reasons.

1 pro market is a closed book to Pentax
2 economics at present mean not many consumers can afford expensive camera
3 exchange rate means any FF camera will be expensive.
4 Ricoh by their own statement exclude FF (consumer and archival)

No I think markets have to shift before there's a space for a 'me to' FF from Pentax.

Now if they could deliver FF on a unique package that would be a different story, But again the 'shoe horn a ff sensor in K5' is pigs might fly material.

But at least the down size upsize mirror box gave me a giggle and the the defence of the statement as if Yankov was a baffoon had me rolling round the floor in stitches.

A general word of advice if your totally ignorant of the engineering factors don't try and sound like you know what your talking about as in forum like this there always going to be someone who does know and they at best will laugh at you at worst publicly humiliate you.

I know I've done it and 'real engineer' did a very good job of ripping me a new one.

Wow that enough rantin for one morning need coffee

--
Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-PM2 Pentax Q7 Pentax K-3 +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow