Ricoh(Pentax) FF - issues and strategical opportunities

Started Jul 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
moving_comfort
moving_comfort Veteran Member • Posts: 8,205
'Risk' may be a four-letter word at Pentax

zxaar wrote:

In the end, i really think it is upto the will of camera maker than their resources to provide FF camera. If pentax top management wanted to offer FF, they could have done it. It is plain and simple. Someone at their top is not wise enough to take decisions at proper time.

We don't like to think in terms like this, but what's happened to the relative market share of Nikon, Canon and Pentax since the 70's supports that conclusion.

I don't know if a 'lack of wisdom', describes it perfectly, though. I think it may be an institutionalized corporate culture that is more risk averse than the other two.

Corporate culture is a real thing, and it's odd to witness at times. It can last for several generations of management, because managers tend to hire and promote younger versions of themselves.

You could make the case that something in Pentax's culture stifled it's growth, left it slow-footed... Usually that's a symptom of a culture that stresses stay alive at the expense of win .

--
Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow