According to Kodak airplane travel destroys your digital camera

Started Jul 2, 2011 | Discussions thread
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,216
Agreed, but what an appalling level of discussion...

MisterBG wrote:

The OP chose a deliberately provocative title line for this topic.

In reality the title should say "According to Kodak airplane travel may damage the sensor in your digital camera."
To say it "destroys your digital camera" is rather extreme and provocative.

I've followed the "discussions" here with interest and conclude that there is some scientific basis to the claims and also that there are people here who are so intransigent they will never admit there is something out there that they do not understand.

I've flown with cameras a number of times and never been aware of any imager degradation, and I'm sure that applies to most people, so I think the degree of the problem here is being highly overstated.
--

That seems like a reasonable summary to me.

None the less, I am appalled at the level of the "discussions". The user samWebster123 posted (IMO) some interesting links to articles from the literature and was accused of "lying" for his troubles - a fairly nasty thing to fling at someone. The work of Albert Theuwissen, who has published significant papers on solid-state image sensors in IEEE journals, was referred to as "garbage" by people who presumably could never achieve publishing a paper in a peer-reviewed science or engineering journal themselves. What is the reason for such hostility? Why such reluctance to listen, which after all is 50% of a conversation? All it achieves is to drive away the people with something interesting / knowledgeable to say.

I've had some great conversations here with some interesting characters and learned a lot of useful things, but when I see this sort of thing it makes me think the whole place is, on balance, not worth bothering with...

Joe

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
Izu
Izu
Izu
Izu
(unknown member)
Izu
Izu
Izu
(unknown member)
Izu
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow