First telephoto/L lens

Started Jul 3, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Peter2290 Regular Member • Posts: 111
First telephoto/L lens

So I'm finally going to buy a telephoto lens to help round out my lens collection for the time being. Right now I have a 7D with a 28-135mm, 10-22mm and 50 f1.8. I have about $1500 that I'm willing to spend on a new lens to hold me over for a while (being a college student with limited $$$). I have decided on either the 70-200 f4L IS or the new 70-300L (the 100-400L is also in that price range, although it's a much older lens) and I'm going to be using it mainly for outdoor nature/travel photography.

Now I've read tons of reviews comparing these 2 lenses and they seem to have very comparable IQ, IS systems, and focusing speeds. The main differences seem to be that the 70-300L is a little heavier and slower, but also has the extra 100mm of reach.

I like how the 70-200 F4L IS has the constant aperture throughout the range, but since I already have a 28-135mm I'm only gaining 65mm in range (although the overlapping range will be much higher IQ with the 70-200). I'm leaning kind of heavily towards the 70-300L since its supposed to be fantastic from what I've read and I'd definitely use the extra 100mm, it's just that $1500 is a lot for a variable aperture lens (that doesn't go to 400mm).

Any opinions here?

Thanks a lot everyone.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow