According to Kodak airplane travel destroys your digital camera

Started Jul 2, 2011 | Discussions thread
EELinneman Junior Member • Posts: 44
Re: According to Kodak airplane travel destroys your digital camera

With my background in physics, I'm a little doubtful about a couple of his statements.

First, how do the photons that are strking film automatically routed to transit perpindicular to the film layers? Doesn't sound right. Not saying that the diffraction and reflection issues with digital are not correct, but still...

Second, he makes a statement that gamma rays do not affect us in aircraft. Gamma rays are very high energy and most definitely affect human bodies, so I'm suspicious of this statement.

Third, I don't believe that being at 20,000 ft exposes us to that much additional gamma radiation. He made a statement along the lines of needing 125 feet of concrete to protect at that level? Doesn't seem correct to me.

He then presents a pair of anecdotal stories about camera's being damaged and that Sony has software to hide this? When did these stories happen? Has the technology and material science used in sensors improved since then to reduce this issue.

I fly with my camera's all the time and have never experienced this. I've got a G11 that has been on over 200 flights and I have no unusual dead pixels, no issues in video or such.

So, has anybody else experienced what he is talking about?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
Izu
Izu
Izu
Izu
(unknown member)
Izu
Izu
Izu
(unknown member)
Izu
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow