Quick Survey on D7000 Oil Spots Did you have them: Yes or No

Started Jun 23, 2011 | Discussions thread
Shooraq Regular Member • Posts: 282
Re: Yes: From Day One

MarkJH wrote:

Yes : I noticed visible oil spots on the sensor within my D7000's first twenty shots.

Between 0 and 2500 shots on the clock, the camera flipped so much oil about the mirror box that I noticed it on the rear elements of all of my lenses (including the very receded rear-element of the 70-200 f/2.8 VRII). Now pushing 8000 shots, oil's still bespattering the sensor, but no longer flinging onto lens elements--something I optimistically regard as a sign the problem's receding.

Since I tend to favor wide apertures, I haven't bothered to clean the sensor; I can only see the oil spots at beyond f/8, and I almost never shoot above f/5.6. (I often shoot in low light and I loves me the shallow DOF.)

I know the thought is twisted, but I sometimes blame myself for this "problem." Had I not read umpteenthousand D7000-related paranoia threads here on DPReview, I wouldn't have measurebated my copy with outrageous f/22 shots into the sun and at brick walls--I'd just have gone out shooting in my normal style and, seldom venturing above f/8, would have been forever blissfully unaware of any lurking "issue." Maybe I'd have noticed crap on the sensor a year or two down the line, but by then it'd be more than reasonable to need a cleaning anyway!

The D7000's image quality is nothing short of stunning. I've had repeat clients--folks who know nothing about photography beyond, of course, knowing a great image when they see one--who've commented how much they like "whatever is new and different in [my] process." When your clients notice the difference, you know it's a winner. The D7000's built-in CLS control features with quick flash sync and auto FP mode have pushed my on-location photographic creativity into the stratosphere--exactly the sort of thing you hope will happen when you contemplate buying a new artistic tool. I just love it to death, and I'm reluctant to send it to Nikon for a cleaning if only because I can't imagine a few weeks without it!

I'm sure others will draw different conclusions, but the lesson I've learned here is simple: forget the measurebating and paranoia--just shoot.

And DAH ! I'm breaking that rule already by responding to a D7000 problem thread! This place is like crack: an unproductive addiction in the highest!

Good, another satisified customer despite have spotty problems. Proof that even with the setback, we still love this camera!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
(unknown member)
MOD Mako2011
(unknown member)
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Leo
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Leo
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Leo
MOD Mako2011
Leo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow