Olympus E-PM1 leaked!

Started Jun 20, 2011 | Discussions thread
Yohan Pamudji Senior Member • Posts: 2,874
Re: Size matters

Antonio Rojilla wrote:

Sure. Why mention that that lens is designed for the NEX video cameras (VG-10 and SF100)? Don't let the truth get in the way.

http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl=en&client=ubuntu&channel=fs&biw=1360&bih=705&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=sony+nex+video+camera&oq=nex+video&aq=0m&aqi=g-m1&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=1724l3167l0l9l8l0l0l0l0l286l1840l0.1.7l8

The 18-200 was announced along with the other 2 lenses and the NEX-3 and NEX-5, months earlier than the VG-10, so I'm not sure you can really say it was designed for the VG-10. It certainly looks better balanced on a VG-10 though.

From my perspective the race to one-up Sony in making a teeny-tiny camera is useless. I'm still carrying multiple lenses in a bag anyway, so it's far more important for the system as a whole to be small and light, i.e. smaller and lighter lenses. That 18-200mm is just a comical mess in terms of proportionality.

As for the size of other E-mount lenses, I'm really interested to see how big (and good) the upcoming 24mm f/1.7 is. The effective focal length and max aperture are appealing to me, and if Sony can ever get their UI sorted out I might eventually jump ship. Would also love to see a few more pancakes from them just to know that the 16mm wasn't a one-off.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Mk7
FFS
FFS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow