Lowepro Compact Courier 80 for NEX-5

Started May 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
OP kaizr Forum Member • Posts: 89
Re: Lowepro Compact Courier 80 for NEX-5

Sorry for taking so long to post my review, but here's my initial thoughts on the Courier 80:

Firstly the size, I was put off by the size when I opened the packaging. I know it has 'compact' in the name, but I was expecting something a tad more roomy. Compared to the Lowepro Apex 100AW, this is smaller on the outside, but about the same size on the interior.

I was hoping for something that I could open, reach in, grab a lens or spare battery without taking the camera out first; not gonna happen with this bag. You can lay the camera down either on it's side or face down, but either way you have to remove the camera before getting to an accessory. There is one divider in the main compartment (which is also the removable pouch) and there is also a card holder fitted into the inside of the lid together with a lens cleaner.

Secondly, the strap, although this is wide enough, I was expecting some padding for the shoulder like on the Apex, but Lowepro have disappointed me in this aspect. They have also left out the waterproof cover that you get on the Apex, although the bag appears to be made of a water repellant material - not tested it though!). The back of the bag does have a large fixed loop that you can attach to your belt should you wish, and with the bag being more like a large case with a removable shoulder strap, the bag doesn't look too bad when fixed to your belt i.e. looks more like a case and not a bag when used on your belt.

Thirdly, the case within a case. You can remove the inner grey-lined case and use as a velcro fastened pouch. Good feature if you want something very small to just protect the camera when out and about, although you would have to use the camera strap (fixed to the camera) to wear around your neck with the case on, as there are no loops or hooks on the inner bag (might look a bit silly though). I guess this would be ideal for the ladies who want something protective and ultra compact before putting the camera into their handbags, or for the guys who have manbags/ruckack etc. The inner bag, although protective against knocks and bumps, will offer no protection against the elements, as the top just folds down and attaches to the front of the pouch with velcro leaving small gaps at the top left and right.

Conclusion, brilliant concept, and faultless for those who want a sturdy bag with clean lines that has been designed with the NEX in mind. However, for me, as the interior doesn't hold any more that the Apex 100AW, it's not really ideal for my needs.

I want a bag that you can reach in and grab a lens or battery without having to remove the camera first, I should have realised by the name of the bag before I ordered it that it was going to be small, oh well, you live and learn. So I have now gone and ordered a Domke F-5XB and will most likely sell the Courier 80 if I feel the Domke is suitable for most occasions.

I will post a further update if and when I sell, as I realise that this bag is near on impossible to buy in the UK (I ordered from an Amazon Market Seller in the US, and the case was delivered within 3 days by FedEx for a very reasonable shipping fee. However, a week later I received a letter from FedEx demanding £14 for the customs fee - ouch!).

Here are some pictures (sorry about the iPhone quality):

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow