Lens Lineup Suggestions

Started Jun 16, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jadawgis732 Regular Member • Posts: 321
Lens Lineup Suggestions

Right now I am shooting a lot of architecture (mostly exterior), and landscapes. That could change as the hobby develops. I am shooting an A33, and have the 18-55 kit lens, the Sony 55-200 F4-5.6 and a Minolta 50 F1.7. I'm unhappy with the kit lens depth of field, corner softness, and flare. I feel that the results could be sharper, and that no amount of USMs, using RAW and exposing to the right (I realize the latter only affects quantitative exposure). But let's leave it at I want a sharper lens.

I'd like to attack the kit lens focal range first, and since I am a semi-broke college student, I think that's all I can attack right now. Let's say my budget is $500. I'm a bit mixed up in my decisions and would like it if you guys could point me in a good direction.

Some choices I found using Dyxum and SLRGear:
Sony 16-105 F3.5-5.6
Sigma 28-70 F2.8
Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5
Tamron 17-50 F2.8

Of those, I like the Sigma 17-70 the most right now. Another choice is just adding a couple primes to the bag. I realize that primes are able to be faster and sharper at the expense of a fixed focal range, though I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with lugging extra lenses around everywhere, changing lenses much more often, and using a prime as a walkaround lens. I apologize for my long-windedness and like I said, I just need some direction with all this.

jadawgis732's gear list:jadawgis732's gear list
Sony a77 II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow