Teacher won't allow my GH2

Started Jun 2, 2011 | Discussions thread
D200_4me
D200_4me Veteran Member • Posts: 4,166
Here's what I'd do if I were you....

For the time being, forget the class. I learned what I needed to know on my own. From my personal experience of not having a clue about photography before I bought my first digital camera back in 2000 or 2001, here's what you need to know...

You need to know just a few basic concepts about modern digital photography/cameras. You can learn the specific features of the camera you have (I have a GH2 as well) as you go.

First, read up on Exposure and how aperture, shutter speed and ISO all play into the exposure you end up with. After all, it's all about the exposure/light, right? You can find lots of good guides and info on the very basics of photography online. Once you fully understand how aperture, shutter speed and ISO plays into making a given exposure, you'll be a long way to making great photos and not being stressed about your camera.

Second, read up on Metering. Spot Metering, 'Matrix' or 'Evaluative' Metering and Center Weighted Metering. This also plays into how you can make a better decision about the exposure rather than letting the camera totally control the exposure in the automatic modes.

Honestly, that's about all you really need to know about photography in general. Like I said, once you have a good understanding of what makes a good exposure, then you can learn all the various other features your camera has to offer. Here's a good/free resource from a pro photographer on the various subjects. You can find many others online too. Neil has always been very nice about posting helpful info for people like us. http://neilvn.com/tangents/index/

This is my personal photo site:
http://www.openbloom.com/

Good luck.

D200_4me's gear list:D200_4me's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Sony FE 24-105mm F4
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Mk7
tko
MNE
MNE
MNE
tko
MNE
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow