Teacher won't allow my GH2

Started Jun 2, 2011 | Discussions thread
yellowstonecaz New Member • Posts: 5
Re: Teacher won't allow my GH2

I can explain what's going on. The GH2 does not use the phase-detection autofocus system used in dSLRs. It uses a continuous focus system that is used in most point & shoot cameras, video cameras, and micro 4/3rds cameras. In general, continuous focus systems operate slower than phase-detection systems, which is what your teacher was referring to. Unfortunately, he doesn't understand that Panasonic has made something of a breakthrough in the GH2 by developing a continuous AF system that focuses as quickly as a phase-detection system. In short, the GH2 operates just as quickly as comparable dSLRs, like the Canon T3i or Nikon D5100, for taking still photographs.

In fact, when you use P, A, S or M modes, it operates largely like a dSLR. The only difference is that the GH2 shows you an image in its electronic viewfinder versus looking through an optical system. So there's absolutely no reason he can't teach you basic photographic principles. If you're looking for a good class to learn the basics, look into Nick Carver's online courses or courses from Bryan Peterson's Perfect Picture School of Photography. Both will teach you basic principles, but will not specifically teach you the GH2. To learn that right now, you'll have to read how Panasonic implements those basic principles in the Panasonic user's guide, which is a bit dense, but better than most manufacturer guides. In general, you shouldn't have much of a problem. Once you understand how aperture, shutter speed and ISO interact, you'll easily figure out how to use the GH2 to control each parameter by reading the manual.

Good luck with the GH2. If you plan to work in both video and stills, you absolutely have the best camera on the market. As you'll soon find out, you'll love the weight, range of its lenses, and seamless interaction between video and stills. Its only area of weakness is when you need flash, but it's a bit of a lengthy explanation.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Mk7
tko
MNE
MNE
MNE
tko
MNE
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow