Teacher won't allow my GH2

Started Jun 2, 2011 | Discussions thread
G1Houston Senior Member • Posts: 2,721
Re: Teacher won't allow my GH2

MarkRWC wrote:

"This is a Micro four thirds camera, a camera more disposed to video shooting than still photography. While I teach the Digital SLR in my class this camera is not covered due to the difference in focusing with a video auto focus system and an optical viewfinder system found in the DSLR."

If he is teaching how to use a camera, as well as photography, then I think it makes sense to let you know that a significant proportion of his discussion will not be applicable to your camera. Most dSLRs use phase-detection AF and there are AF points in the optical VF to indicate which point is active. There are ways to program these AF points to be used to track moving objects and the use of an optical VF is critical for mastering these techniques. Since getting object of interest in focus is a key skill for photography, you will not be able to use what he teaches on the GH2. If he is not familiar with your camera, he is not going to help you to learn YOUR camera. I think he is simply trying to be honest with you.

By contrast, if this is just a class about general photography that will mostly deal with composition and other photography and post-processing techniques, then any camera with manual control should be fine.

G1Houston's gear list:G1Houston's gear list
Nikon D7100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Mk7
tko
MNE
MNE
MNE
tko
MNE
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow