I normally defend Ken Rockwell

Started Jun 2, 2011 | Discussions thread
René Schuster Forum Pro • Posts: 14,180
Re: Tape

dos ojos wrote:

If I pay a premium for a Leica when I could have gotten the same camera much cheaper with a Panasonic logo, I want everyone to see it.

Besides, putting tape on that little red logo might damage the resale value if some of that red paint comes off when I remove the tape.

That tape was not on the red dot, but on the word Leica in the middle top of the camera body (before digital).

"I want everyone to see it" - well, another one of our cultural differences. Over here it is seen as proof of a rather primitive low cultural level to show off with what you can afford. Money only doesn´t really count, if it is not accompanied by a good education, good manners, class, etc. The admission ticket to the upper class is not just money, no matter how much you might have. Understatement would be the way to go over here, if you don´t want to be considered to belong to the group of the "newly-rich", just money but no culture.

In the US it might be different, probably based on the philosophy of the Puritans, something like if you live your life the way God wants you to, you sooner or later will be rich, so being rich is nothing you have to hide but is seen as proof that you live in the sense of your religion.

René

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow