Raw conversion and demosaicing issues

Started Jun 1, 2011 | Discussions thread
OP boggis the cat Veteran Member • Posts: 6,329
Actually, you can get detail without artefacts

jim stirling wrote:

If it is just an insignificant part of the photo it is easily dealt with the problem comes when you want to preserve the detail of the area ,as you described it seems to be a straight choice between software hiding detail and moiré or showing detail and moiré.

The choice of demosaic algorithm seems to have the most effect on artefacts of the type you uncovered using ACR. From the photo in my original post you can see that the "amaze' algorithm in RawTherapee does not produce artefacts but does deliver detail.

The E-5 jpeg engine does a great job of concealing the effect and I agree that for the vast majority of shots it will be a total non-issue.

I am not sure if the effect is actually there (artefacts in the raw) or if it is introduced by the developer.

And considering how sharp the E-5 is with the light AA filter it is very far from being the worst offender. Hopefully Bogis's post will lead to someone posting a simple answer { my favorite type of answer :)} . But i suspect if critical detail is affected by moire it will not possible to recover it.

I'll need to try to find some photos with colour artefacts / moire to see what the effect is. They're pretty hard to find, so far -- not just on the E-5, either.

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow