D2x

Started May 24, 2011 | Discussions thread
JulesJ
JulesJ Forum Pro • Posts: 45,403
Re: D2x

Gearsau wrote:

Zane Paxton wrote:

Terry Geig wrote:

Good to be back in dpreview. Since I have been gone (around 3 years) I have upgraded from a D50 to a slightly used D2x. My first question is does anyone still use this model? I am an intermediate photographer and I am wanting and amassing tools to work on portraiture. I have a small studio setup in my house, as well as access to a real studio leased by friends who have let me use their space and some equipment. I have 1 SB900 and an umbrella and stand, 1 43" 5 way reflector, as well as various other bounce cards. I also have decent size windows that let in good natural light. I use Elements 7, Lightroom 3.2, and am buying Portrait professional 10 soon. Does this sound like a decent plan?

I have had a D2x for about 6 years now. It's a great camera but requires lots of dsicipline to use well. I can use it in my sleep I know it so well.

I recently upgraded to the D7000 and wow it beats the D2x in every aspect .

Sell the D2x and buy the D7000. In particular the DR is astoundingly better, almost 3 stops better, it's the same as the D3x. I can't really find anything I dislike about the D7000. I really have no reason to pick up the D2x.... The D7000 is probably the best value in the Nikon Camp, ever.

Zane,

Terry stated that he has just purchased his D2X . Slightly used. Why bother to get rid of it and get a D7000?

Interesting to see a comparison in weights... D2X would be the same weight as a D3, so, approx 1.24 kg. The D7000 is only 0.690 kg.

The D2X is a pro body, compared to a " consumer body" of the D7000.
I do have a D2Xs and wouldn't even consider getting a D7000.
Another problem for me with a D7000..No vertical grip.

Small battery on the D7000 compared to the excellent EN-EL4a battery of the D2X.

Understand that the D7000 does have better low light capability, but, for portraiture, I don't think the high ISO in a studio would be required.

Exactly, it isn't.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Regards Peter

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow