What hope is there for the modern professional photographer...

Started May 22, 2011 | Discussions thread
chinch Senior Member • Posts: 1,731
Re: What hope is there for the modern professional photographer...

There is a market for "hired to do a job" photographers. This includes customers who want to PAY for what they actually cherish in photographs... notably memories and processing of said memories into photos.

There won't be much a market to sell "rights to photographs" for obscure use or for web articles that by themselves generate little to no profit. Or where cheap stock photography is available.

In the USA as Patch and regional news community hubs expand they'll have built-in photography sources and free community submissions also. sorry.

bed bug wrote:

I just receive a request from a journalist today to use several of my images for a web article she was writing. When I said ok based on a licensing fee, she replied that they would not be purchasing any images.

The journal? Scientific America!!!

Thus what hope is there for a professional career in photography these days when well known journals do not wish to pay for images...

Sad.

Regards
Stephen

chinch's gear list:chinch's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow