Not here to gloat, but...

Started Nov 26, 2002 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
glowluzid Senior Member • Posts: 1,567
Not here to gloat, but...

I once used to frequent this forum, having owned an E20. I loved (still love) the e20, even though I sold it to get a 1D. Well the 1D is too big at times, so I broke down and got a small P&S--a canon g3.

I thought I would be disappointed after using the e20 and 1d, but I can honestly say (hope not to offend some here), that the g3 somewhat keeps apace with the oly Exx.

I bought the g3 as a small vacation/family cam. I am favorably impressed with its speed. With the 35-140mm eq zoom @f/2-3 and the flash options, the g3 is much more than a vacation cam. It compares well with the oly e20/10 in versatility. Speedwise it is about as fast in AF and faster in review/write.

You're right, no true viewfinder, but with its tremendous battery life, using the LCD monitor is no problem, so I still get 100% frame coverage. In bright sun, I plan to use an expanded eyepiece/lcd cover.

Its raw file is better than any consumer camera out there I've tried, including the oly (still a bit noisy and HUGE mb) and minolta d7 (which was noisier and had color issues). The swivel LCD is the one of the best out there (looks and function--only the nikon dslr looks better but functions below). The 10x mag is FAST and review is very quick, with the ability to delete and convert to RAW on the fly.

Since I have a 1D, I'm very content to "replace" my oly with the g3 as it is smaller and speedier and loses very little in functionality (actually gains in some respects). I will miss the dual memory slots of the oly. But I don't quite miss the true viewfinder as much as I thought I would.

The color of the oly is still amazing to me, though. Sometimes I think it's even better than the 1d.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
boz
boz
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow