cleaning your sensor with Scotch Magic tape (green package)

Started May 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Schwany
Schwany Forum Pro • Posts: 10,056
Yes well

I'm sure an internet search on jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge would turn up some results recommending it as a good logical idea too. Just saying

When I did a liquid sensor clean, I made my own tools to do it. Pecpad or whatever they are called has a plastic applicator stick. I made one out of wood. I cut some standard pre-moistened lens cleaning material folded it over the end of the stick, taped it up high so it wouldn't come off, and did a couple of swabs over the sensor. Worked great and saved me about $80. The little bit of liquid on the lens cleaner material dries clean and does not streak. It's not a slurry. The material feels nearly dry.

I don't know how one would get tape into the camera to lay over the sensor in the first place. It would probably mess up the mirror box.

Good luck

new_newbie wrote:

hmm..advice taken. i've read and seen before after pics and seems great..but...as you mentioned maybe on older cams. the adhesive method seems logical. the liquid method is like a slurry and unless thoroughly cleaned would leave some.

Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow