DP2 IR converted

Started May 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ronald Tichelaar Forum Member • Posts: 84
DP2 IR converted

Yesterday evening I've converted my DP2 to an IR cam by removing the IR cut filter in front of the sensor. Unfortunately there isn't much info on the internet about removing the IR cut filter. Considering the fact that my DP2 is just a month old is was a bit scary. But I've got a lot of experience repairing Apple Hardware witch contain equally small electronic components I thought I'd give it a try. Fortunately at the end of the exercise everything still works and the red channel much more pronounced. I'm considering the make a small report / guide on how to remove the IR cut filter if anyone is interested. It's not to hard and I think anyone with a steady hand and fine motor skills is able to do this.

My next electronic challenge is to add an electronic remote so I won't introduce movement when taking panoramas… If there is anyone who can tell me what points to solder I'm very eager to hear from you. I've red about where to solder in a DP1 but is the circuit of the DP2 the same as the DP1?

I've ordered a B+W UV-IR Cut (486) 46mm and B+W Infrared 093 46mm filter together with the Sigma HA-21 and a JJC Clip Lens cap 46mm. Can't wait to start experimenting with IR photography!

Here is a first example from the converted DP2...

Second a quick Photoshop channelmixer result…

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow