Lumix GF1 blows away X100 in focusing speed

Started May 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
eastvillager Senior Member • Posts: 1,338
Lumix GF1 blows away X100 in focusing speed

I was out last night with a friend who owns a GF1. I have a X100 for a week now. We shoot the same and were shooting simultaneously at a party at a gallery. We both shoot for major NY newspapers and are very experienced photographers with decades of experience. He was blasting away and I spent the next hour struggling to focus and get the camera to focus quickly. Meanwhile again he was blasting away. Later at a restaurant I grabbed his GF1 and couldn't help but notice the camera had no focusing problems anywhere near what I was experiencing with the X100 at the gallery or in the restaurant. I love the camera, the picture quality but I have to say the focusing leaves a lot to be desired to say the least. I was using the EVF all the time having read that the optical would have problems focusing closeup. I've tried the center focusing point and the multifocus setting and seem to have the same results. Focusing light on or off not much difference. If I tried to shoot with one swift motion on the street last night or in the gallery and almost every time it results in an out of focus picture. In other words it's almost impossible to shoot almost instantaneously which is something I need to do to take spontaneous photographs. My daylight pictures are wonderful with a slight lag and pretty good focusing but at night or under lowlight the camera seems to really struggle. Hopefully a firmware version might fix this soon or I find some solution because I'm quickly losing patience. If the GF1 had a larger chip and a better picture I would gotten one a long time ago.

eastvillager's gear list:eastvillager's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
fad
fad
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow