Nikon P500 vs Canon’s SX1 IS redux
Since this comparison keeps showing up in various forums, I thought I would put in my (more than) two cents. Nikon’s P500 is a great disappointment as a bridge camera . The digital stabilization operates poorly compared to Canon’s SX1 IS optical stabilization. That Canon was released way back in 2008! When the P500's lens is zoomed out in video mode, the digitally stabilized image shakes all over the place… and I have a steady hand.
Secondly, I cannot understand why a $400 camera does not have a histogram. Even my ancient little Sony DSC-W30 pocket camera has a histogram!
Lastly, Nikon... a company synonymous with fine optics, certainly could go to the minor expense of putting threads on the lens barrel so as to affix a protective UV or - an indispensible polarizing filter. While I understand that a Nikon bridge camera is not going to have all similar features as my D300, it should at least offer what my pocket cameras have! This Nikon bridge camera is “a bridge to nowhere.” After shooting with it for an hour in my local camera store, I decided not to buy one.
1) Awesome W/A to tele-zoom
2) High speed video
3) Very high resolution screen ~ 920,000 dots
1) No filter threads
2) No Histogram
3) No Optical stabilization
4) In-camera battery charging is old-school
5) MINI-USB connector is for pocket cameras-please.
6) No Flash shoe
7) There must be a dozen entries in various forums about the battery not holding a charge.
Please note: I LOVE NIKON CAMERAS! I have been a Nikon camera user since 1970! This is just an ill-conceived camera~start to finish. Inexpensive changes would make this a must have (an in some ways more fun) substitute when I'm not willing to truck around a
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%
|Sunflower Field by GrannyMeg|
from An impressionist piece
|Flag from Staten Island Ferry by wam7|
|SAND SCULPTURE by duskman|
from Landscape - Black and White #4