Feedback on K-5 low light tungsten focussing issue in real life / portrait photos ?

Started May 5, 2011 | Discussions thread
audiobomber
audiobomber Veteran Member • Posts: 5,766
Re: Feedback on K-5 low light tungsten focussing issue in real life / portrait photos

I bought a K-5 which was clearly having trouble with AF in tungsten light. Focus worked fine in daylight, so I loaded v1.03 and did some testing. Unfortunately the new firmware didn't help. I know some people have a K-5 that works in tungsten light, but I decided to give up for now and returned the camera.

Here's my test, using the K20D with FA 35mm at f2 and a DA 40mm on the K-5 and K-x. Handheld, because I wanted a real life test, which includes shake reduction and auto exposure. I set Av to f/2 for the K20D, f/2.8 for the others, auto ISO, noise reduction turned off.

https://picasaweb.google.com/bonhommed/LowLightTest?authkey=Gv1sRgCKfrw5i3lJihcQ#

For those who can't be bothered to look, tungsten AF on both older cameras outperformed the K-5 by a margin that doesn't require pixel peeping to spot.
--
Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +19 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow