My 7D's Error 20

Started May 3, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Noogy
Noogy Senior Member • Posts: 2,012
My 7D's Error 20

I brought my 7D today to the Canon Service Center after it started showing error 20 intermittently. Under moderate to heavy use a couple of days back, I noticed the error 20 first started to appear while my Tokina 12-24mm was mounted. I turned off power, I heard the mirror flicked back in place, powered up and started shooting again. After about 6-7 shots, the error 20 happened again. I removed my SanDisk Ultra 16gb and used an 8gb Kingston. Same problem recurred after 10-12 shots. I removed the battery grip, cleaned the usual suspect areas, changed the Tokina 12-24mm into my Canon 24-105mm (I only had three lenses in this particular trip), and error 20 recurred after about 20-22 shots.

Another unusual camera behavior I noticed was that the error 20 appeared more frequently whenever I would switch to live view and back. I sensed the mirror was not flicking back as smoothly as it used to. When error 20 occurred while I was on live view, I had to turn off the camera and remove the battery, which again made me hear that the mirror flicked back. Related to this, when I tried to do manual cleaning of the sensor (which locks the mirror), the error 20 occurred 4-5x before finally disappearing temporarily.

Strangely, I brought my camera to the Canon Service Center and the error 20 did not happen while they were doing their quick tests. They asked what CF card I was using when the errors happened, and I said I used various CF cards and they got convinced my error 20 was not triggered by the CF cards (they said error 02 was CF card-related, but apparently not error 20). Anyway, they decided to keep the camera just the same for further inspection and cleaning. I was told it occasionally happens when the camera needs cleaning.

Incidentally, I never had this problem before I upgraded to 1.2.5 firmware. Now before anyone puts two and two together to get five I must say I was shooting under the 1.2.5 firmware rather extensively for 4-5 days without any problem. There is a good chance this is not a firmware problem, to my view.

Let me add that when the error 20 first happened, I had an original Canon battery grip attached to my 7D, and my camera just moved from a climate-controlled 20-degrees Celsius hotel room to the 28-degree humid clifffside facing the sea (no mist, no spray of water was reaching where I was).

Whatever the Canon guys find out after inspecting my unit, I shall head back to post in this thread. Good thing my unit is still under warranty btw!

Any one else had this strange occurrence, and found a fix?
--
Noogy
"Photography is therapeutic."
http://www.pbase.com/joshcruzphotos

Noogy's gear list:Noogy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +12 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow