What lens to upgrade to

Started Apr 23, 2011 | Discussions thread
Schnapper Contributing Member • Posts: 993
Re: What lens to upgrade to

Another option, instead of the two obvious upgrades to the 18-55 IS (the 17-55/2.8 IS if you want larger aperture, the 15-85 if you want longer zoom range) would be to get a prime in the range. Something like a Sigma 30/1.4 or the Canon 28/1.8 or 35/2 (or a 50/1.8 or 50/1.4 if you prefer that focal length). It would give you more room for creativity using shallow DOF, pretty good low light capability, and very good image quality... You already have the 18-55 range covered with your existing kit lens, so the primes would give you something that you haven't had before.

Just a thought.

Gelbvieh wrote:

I have a 450D but would like to upgrade sometime in the next 12-18months to a 7D. I have only really just taken up photography (10months) but since hubbie brought me the 100mm macro f/2.8L IS USM for Christmas I have become really disappointed in what my standard 18-55 and 55-270 kit lens offer, especially around softness.

Taking to a few camera shops still standing here in Christchurch it appears all are agreed on the 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM but more viable at the other end of the scale, with the suggested front runner being EFS 18-85mm f/3.6-5.6 IS USM.

Most of my photography is wildlife and sport, with a few landscapes when travelling.

What do others recommend and which should I upgrade first?

Thanks

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow