What lens to upgrade to

Started Apr 23, 2011 | Discussions thread
hiki08 Regular Member • Posts: 162
Re: What lens to upgrade to

i've had experience with the canon 15-85 and 17-55.. both superb lenses, though 15-85 seems to have a tighter/better fitting. 17-55's f/2.8 is a clear advantage over the 15-85's 3.5-5.6 but then the 15-85 'wins' with a longer focal range. Both lenses have excellent photo quality and I probably wouldn't recommend one over the other. It'll have to come down to whether you need a (relatively) fast lens and whether you need the extra focal range. For me, the 15-85 is great for a daily lens but the f/3.5-5.6 does not provide enough bokeh. Also, neither of these lenses would be long enough to shoot sports or wildlife.

So 70-300 or thereabouts would be the focal range you're looking at.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with these telephoto lenses since I don't own one and don't intend to purchase one in the near future, however do consider things like IS and aperture size. Consider whether you'll be taking your sports and wildlife in good lighting, and whether they will be moving fast. I have read previously that the 70-200 f/4L (non-IS) is a bargain purchase. I'm not sure if that would be long enough for you, and whether you'll be shooting in low light much.

Hope you find the right lens soon!

hiki08's gear list:hiki08's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow