Canon EOS Rebel T3 image quality issue

Started Apr 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
AllOtherNamesTaken Veteran Member • Posts: 3,563
Re: Canon EOS Rebel T3 image quality issue

Snaphaan wrote:

I'm confused...

So does the T3 have good IQ or not? I'm not a good pixel peeper so maybe some tech-savvy here can give it to me straight...

The T3 image quality is fine. Below it's peers (I.e. Pentax Kr and Nikon D3100) but still in the running.

As for this thread comparing it to a D3s that is a silly comparison to begin with and you can ignore it. They are not even close to the same type of sensor, price category, or performance world.

When comparing image quality you must look at the RAW image, otherwise you are just comparing in-camera JPEG processing engines, which is not a good representation of actual image quality because every company uses very different approaches to out-of-camera JPEG's, and the user can manipulate those values to make them all look basically identical. Some companies (i.e. Nikon) use far less default in-camera JPEG sharpening, but you can just turn it up if you want and it will look the same as everyone else.

If you want to look at unbiased, standardized, sensor comparisons, check out the following link from DXO and select the competition (Pentax Kr and Nikon D3100 or whatever else you may be considering):

http://ns365755.ovh.net/index.php/Camera-Sensor/Compare/Compare-sensors/%28appareil1%29/693 |0/%28appareil2%29/664|0/%28appareil3%29/672|0/%28onglet%29/0/%28brand%29/Canon/%28brand2%29/Nikon/%28brand3%29/Pentax

The 1100D sensor is fairly average given today's standards. Canon makes some great sensors but in this segment there seems to be some far better options if this is your main concern. If you're not a pixel peeper you'll probably never tell the difference. Just have a look at the DPreview RAW samples, and if the differences aren't big enough for you to care personally, then don't worry about it. It's best to buy cameras, especially your first camera, based on the entire system, current and future lens requirements, flash system, ergonomics, etc.

Hope that helps,

Mark

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow